Suburban Macondo

Thursday, November 11, 2004

Poco a Poco

I don’t know what brought on the flashcards. It was probably the fact that I have the Spanish vocabulary of a 7-year-old—a mute 7-year-old from a remote village without common modern necessities. Sadly, I also have the Spanish pronunciation of his deaf brother.

So, like I say, my Spanish isn’t that good. No, really. I know I’ve mentioned this before in this space, but now it’s time that I actually confront it. (That’s the reflexive verb encararse con in Spanish. Or enfrentarse a. Awesome, no?)

Okay. Ya voy a encararme con este problema. From third grade to my senior year in college, I always was in some sort of Spanish class. Somehow, though, I’ve learned more in three weeks in Mérida than I did in my entire four years at Carolina, including the four-plus months I spent in Sevilla. How does this happen?

The biggest problem, it seems, is vocabulary. I look around my apartment and have words for only about two-thirds of everything I see. Wall socket? (Enchufe.) Not sure, although I probably should know that one. Doorknob? (Perilla de la puerta.) That’s a gimme, right? I mean, I took two literature classes at the Universidad de Sevilla and several more at Carolina—these words had to be in some of the books I read. Then again, maybe Cortázar and Borges were too busy being geniuses to worry about little details like how their characters entered buildings or plugged electrical appliances into the wall.

Maybe it’s my fault, though. My buddy Luis, whom I met at the posada across the street when we first got to Mérida, is a burgeoning English speaker. He is taking classes at a language school here called VENUSA (a not-so-clever combination of—get this—VENezuela and the USA), and just moved on to Level 6 (of 8). Not only does he know more American slang than I, he also knows ridiculous words like “car dealership” and strangely, “rapist.” (Although we worked on that, starting at “raper”, which I assured him is no way the same as “rapper”.)

Luis is a quick study. He absorbs words, devours them even, and better than that, he is incredibly industrious when it comes to learning vocabulary. If he can’t remember a word, he’ll write it down 20 or 30 times and say it again and again until it sticks. Hence, “car dealership” doesn’t faze him. It’s just another notch in his linguistic belt.

My linguistic belt, on the other hand, seems to be one-size-fits-all these days. If you thought my non-stop uttering of “good times”, “not so much”, and “I’m not gonna lie” was annoying in English, then you’d never want to hear me in Spanish. It’s as if I only know six or seven sentence constructions, and I just put them on one continuous vocal loop all day. Tengo que … voy a … es que … por eso … ¡coño! Over and over again.

So, with Luis as my example, I’ve attempted to become an auto-didact. That’s right: I want to be the Ragged Dick of Spanish comprehension. What exactly does that mean? Long hours with my Spanish 50 book, Manual de Gramática, and even more time with Inglés Ilustrado, this little book Luis gave me that includes vocab from every location and situation possible. And flashcards, of course. Now, words like nail-polish remover (quitaesmalte), mascara (rimel), eyeliner (delineador) and tweezers (pinzas de cejas) don’t bother me in the least.

That my vocabulary is tilting toward that of a cross-dresser, well, that’s another post altogether.

5 Comments:

  • It still amazes me how so many foreigners apologize for their "horrible" English, but when compared to many Americans' attempt to speak another language -- well, let's just say a lot of American attempts are laughable. It seems that learning how to count to 10 in a couple different languages in kindegarten or first grade and a few bullshit language classes in high school and college is enough in our educational system. And with the political system decided for the next four years, it doesn't look like that attitude is going to change.
    Anyway, the real reason for this post was to pass on a strategy used in many ESL classrooms. Instead of just using flashcards to flip through, attach them, or post-its or something, to different things around your apartment. And if you are missing certain vocab words that you want to learn, say a car dealership isn't in your living room, a simple picture provides enough of a visual cue to work most of the time. I don't know if that would help you, but it definitely helps kids learn classroom vocabulary faster, and in a more meaningful context. Maybe you've already thought about or tried this -- it's definitely not rocket science, but just in case...
    - Kelly

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:16 PM  

  • Last January, a few competitors from South America and Spain came to a world karate tournament, and my master asked me if I could interpret Japanese to Spanish for them. Though I protested that my Spanish was never that good to begin with, and had only gotten worse sitting on a shelf in my brain for 18 months, I couldn't really say no to a 55 year old man who could collapse my sternum with three punches. So I rented a few movies in Spanish with Japanese subtitles, like "Y tu mama tambien," put on a happy face and did like I was told. Of course after the first hour of attempting to force neurons connected to different language centers in my brain to bypass the English section and make new connections, I pretty much had an aneurysm (sp), and had to excuse myself from the dinner reception in Spanganese. I mention this because the only Spanish sentence structures I still remember were the ones you listed, and maybe one or two more. Thank you Snr. Corpus and Sra. Dugan...
    Anyway, being a teacher of English and student of Japanese, this sort of stuff language stuff is fun. In three weeks I've got a big Japanese test to take (right after I get back from the states and forget at least the past month's worth of studying) but I am not hitting the books nearly hard enough. I'm also too busy for flashcards or post-it notes, so I tend rely on a similar system to that of Luis... except I read and write each word or kanji twice and then promptly forget it until the next time I get it wrong on a practice test. Japanese books that teach English are no help at all, since they are filled with mistakes and phrases of questionable value.
    Still, in a little over 2 years I've jumped from toddler level Japanese to somewhere on par with my 9th grade students, at least in terms of reading and writing. If I don't know the right word for an everyday object, I can at least explain it. Unfortunately rather than help me fit in, in many circles this makes me into more of a novelty act than anything else. To many people first who first meet me, their surprise is equivalent to that of, say, meeting a talking chimpanzee.
    If you ever visit Japan, come to a small town in Japan and say "Konnichiwa" or "Arigatou" to someone on the street. The majority of people will come back with an exclamation like, "O-nihongo jyouzu desu ne!" (wow, you speak great Japanese!). For a long time, Japanese people were taught that they have the most difficult language in the world. Because (among other reasons) there are three different types of characters used, Japanese sociologists declared that Japanese people use different parts of the brain from other people to process language. This meant that A) foreigners should not be able to speak Japanese, and B) Japanese people should have a very difficult time speaking any other language. Thus, since it is impossible that my brain has evolved the proper structures for decoding Japanese without at the very least, a horrible accent (present in 99% of foreigners on TV), most people figure I must be a robot. Or horribly deformed to look like an Italian.
    Say what you will about American foreign language education, but it's still a step or two ahead of language learning in Japanese schools, at least in terms of teaching communication. For instance, if I ask some of my third year English students "How are you?" I get a look of panic, a giggle, and the response, "I don't understand English" in Japanese. Things aren't much better with most adults (who have had at minimum 6 years of English), though most people can recite, "I'm fine thank you, and you," if nothing more. Of course, most products advertise in English, and American TV, music, and movies are very popular. Just... since nobody can understand what anyone is saying, I'm not quite sure why...
    Anyway, I think it would be a lot more rewarding to be an English teacher in a country where people actually thought they could learn the language. Though ironically, not as well remunerated. Which is more amusing than anything else.
    Sorry to comandeer your blog again. I had a few hours to pretend to be busy along with the other teachers here. Actually, when I tried to make a user name to post a comment, I ended up making a blog of my own I think.... So I don't need to tell any more Japan stories ka naa?
    jya ne,
    Jason

    By Blogger Gaijin, at 5:18 AM  

  • spanish...english...spanish...to understand ...not understand...deaf...mute...what????who...where....
    be glad to be alive this week...as always your comments and commentary are informative..as always mine are short uninteresting and to Brooke somewhat confusing...
    the pictures were informative, however, I was surprised to see such blahiness...a little sad.you speak about the people and their warmth...how do they have such hopw when it seems that they are surrounded by poverty???I am interested to know how environmrnts play a part in people's moods their personal development..so a the question is to you Ian..why so friendly????...it snowed here last night...I drove slowly very slowly..craweled rather...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:54 AM  

  • We will be going to Cort's game today...I'll be resting..I'll think of both of you and have a nice day..love me....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:41 AM  

  • Does anyone else feel Ian left something out as he mocked the phrases he used most often?

    My response is quite simple:

    Indeed.

    --wk

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home